Germany is one of the most visited countries in Europe, foreign travelers come here with many different purposes such as tourism, study, medical treatment or working.
Citizens of the United States with a valid U.S. Tourist passport (blue passport) can travel to Germany and other countries of the Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days without having to apply or obtain a Schengen visa. For other purpose of traveling to Germany, or you want to stay longer than 90, days you must obtain a residence permit not a Germany Schengen visa.
Required documents of Germany visa for US residents
- • Valid passport or travel document has 2 full blank pages
- • One complete and signed visa application form
- • 2 photos taken within the last three months
- • A U.S. Passport (with applicable visas, if needed), valid for at least three months beyond your intended date of departure from Germany
- • A cover letter that explains the purpose of the visit to Germany
- • Travel Itinerary
- • Germany Travel Health Insurance
- • Proof of accommodation in Germany
- • Proof of financial subsistence to support yourself during your stay in Germany
Who can apply a Germany visa from US?
All US citizens who have a legal residence status in the United States (e.g. Green Card holders; F1 (I-20), H1B, G1, J1, etc.), with three (3) months validity after returning from the Schengen area, are eligible to apply for a Germany Visa in the United States. You must renew your US visa before apply for Germany visa if your visa has expired.
You can apply Germany visa from US embassy/consulate if :
- • You just plan to visit Germany country only.
- • Germany is the main destination on your trip to Schengen Area. It means that you stay for longer time in Germany than in other countries.
- • You want to visit many countries for the same duration but Germany is the first country you visit.
How to apply for Germany Visa in US?
If you are staying in US and you want to apply for Germany, you should follow these steps:
- • Check if you need a visa and figure out the visa type that you need.
- • Gather required documents. Contact the German embassy for an updated checklist of the documents required for the visa you wish to obtain.
- • Schedule an appointment with Germany embassy or consulate near your home.
- • Bring all the required documents and appear for your interview on time. Pay the visa fee and keep the receipt so you can show it to the consular officer.
Germany Visa Processing Time in US
Usually, a German visa application takes about 10 to 15 working days to be processed by the German embassy in the US, which is the only competent body to assess the applications. There may be delays depending on the number of applications, or in some cases depending on the specific situation of the applicant.
Where to apply Germany visa in US?
• If you live in Indiana, Illinois, Kansas, Iowa, Michigan, Kentucky, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Missouri, and South Dakota. Remember to make appointment with Chicago consulate online before visit.
Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Chicago
676 North Michigan Avenue – Suite 3200,
Chicago, IL 60611-2804, USA
Fax. +1-312-202-0466, +11-49-30-1817-67216
• For residents of Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas. Make an appointment with German Consulate in Houston.
Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Houston,
1330 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 1850,
Houston, TX 77056-3057, USA.
Phone. +1 713 627 77 70
Fax. +1 713 627 05 06, +49 30 1817 672 21
• For residents of Imperial, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura. Arizona, Colorado, Nevada and Utah. Make an Appointment with German Consulate in Los Angeles:
Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Los Angeles,
6222 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite No. 500,
Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA.
Phone. +1 323 930 27 03
Fax. +1 323 930 28 05
• For residents of Florida, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Make an appointment with German Consulate in Miami:
Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany in Miami
100 N. Biscayne Blvd., Suite 2200,
Miami, FL, 33132-2381, USA
Phone. +1 305 358 02 90
Fax. +1 305 358 03 07
• Residents in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania; Fairfield County in Connecticut; Bermuda, make appointment with German Consulate in New York. You must schedule an appointment online.
Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany in New York,
871 United Nations Plaza,
New York, NY 10017, USA.
Phone. +1 212 610 97 00
Fax. +1 212 940 04 02
• Residents of Northern California, Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming and the American overseas territories: American Samoa, Baker-, Howland-, Jarvis-, Johnston-, Midway- and Palmyra-Island, make an appointment with German Consulate in San Francisco:
Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany,
1960 Jackson Street,
San Francisco, CA 94109, USA.
Phone. +1 415 775 10 61